UFC 70 Ultimate Fighting Championship NATIONS COLLIDE had Gabriel Gonzaga drop Mirko Cro Crop, with a head kick knocking him out in the Octagon at the main event of the Las Vegas real estate based organization for the UFC 70 Nations Collide in Manchester, England, on Saturday.
Cro Cop was defeated via knockout at a Pride Fighting event on April 25, 2004, when Kevin Randleman did it in 1:57 of Round 1. Gonzaga, 27, improved to 8-1 overall (4-0 UFC) with the victory. Cro Cop dropped to 22-5-2 overall (1-1 UFC).
Gonzaga’s next fight is against Randy Couture the UFC heavyweight champion. His next fight is planned for the next four months.
Gonzaga neutralized Cro Cop’s kicks early in the round by catching Cro Cop’s leg on a body kick and taking him down. From there, Gonzaga landed enough elbows and fists to open a wound near Cro Cop’s hairline before referee Dean stood the fight up. Gonzaga finished the mixed martial arts fight against Cro Cop with a knock out right high kick.
UFC 70 Ultimate Fighting Championship was the third consecutive UFC mma event to end with a major underdog winning the main event. On April 5, favored Canadian Georges St. Pierre lost the welterweight title to Matt Serra via a shocking TKO in the first-round. Then in March, retired 43-year-old Randy Couture won the heavyweight title from Tim Sylvia.
A sold-out fight crowd at the Manchester Evening News Arena watched as England’s Michael “The Count” Bisping dominated Elvis Sinosic for a TKO in the second-round. Bisping, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 3, is now 14-0 overall (3-0 UFC).
Bisping hammered Sinosic with fists on the ground in the Octagon during the first round. Sinosic didn’t take control of the fight until the second round and was bloodied early. He dropped Bisping with a knee. Sinosic tried for submissions on the ground, but Bisping was regained control. Bisping landed several strikes before referee Steve Mazzagatti ended the fight.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship champion Andrei Arlovski won a three-round unanimous decision over Fabricio Werdum, a UFC newcomer. The win may put Arlovski in line for the winner of Gonzaga-Couture.
UFC 70: NATIONS COLLIDE Winner Results
- Alessio Sakara defeated Victor Valimaki via TKO at 1:44 of Round 1.
- Jess Liaudin defeated Dennis Siver via an armbar submission at 1:21 of Round 1.
- Terry Etim defeated Matt Grice via guillotine choke at 4:38 of Round 1.
- Junior Assuncao defeated David Lee via at 1:55 of Round 2.Paul Taylor defeated Edilberto Crocota via TKO at 0:37 of Round 3.
- Cheick Kongo defeated Assuerio Silva via majority decision.
- Michael Bisping defeated Elvis Sinosic via TKO with strikes at 1:20 of Round 2.
- Lyoto Machida defeated David Heath via unanimous decision.
- Gabriel Gonzaga defeated Mirko Cro Cop via KO with a high kick at 4:51 of Round 1.
- Andrei Arlovski defeated Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision.
UFC 70 NATIONS COLLIDE Gonzaga first round main event UFC winner.
PermalinkTags: ufc 70, ufc 70 nations collide, mixed martial arts, octagon, muay thai, ufc 70 winners, ultimate fighting championship, ufc 70 winner, ufc 70 results, mirko cro cop, gabriel gonzaga, michael the count bisping, elvis sisosic, andrei arlovski | EMail This Post | Print This Post |